- Transparency about how we collect and use your personal data, as well as how we protect it
- Information about your rights and the choices available to you, as well as our obligations.
- Information on how we will facilitate your rights and respond to your questions
Find out more about how we manage your personal data below:
Personal data is any information about you by which you can be identified or be identifiable. This can include information such as:
- information about your device (such as the IP address)
- information relating to how you use and interact with our site (such as the URL of a page you visited on our website and how long you stayed there).
- user information through the use of code (tags), cookies and other standard web technologies which are used by out Affiliates and Technology Providers
When we refer to “personal data” in this policy, we are also referencing “personal information,” as it is defined under California law, and as it is defined under Australian law.
Who we are and how to contact us
Bitcoin Insider is the data controller in respect of your personal data. This means that we are responsible for deciding how and why we hold and use your personal data. If you want to contact us directly, you can do so by using our contact form.
The types of personal data we collect about you
We collect your personal data when you visit our site. We collect your personal data in various ways:
- directly from you, when you browse our site and or when you contact us.
- personal data we generate about you, e.g. personal data in the form of your IP address.
- your IP address – a numerical code to identify your device, together with the country, region or city where you are based
- information on how you interact with our services
- your browsing history of the content you have visited on our sites, including how you were referred to our site via other websites
- details of your device, for example, the unique device ID, unique vendor or advertising ID and browsers used to access our content
We will only collect your personal data in line with applicable laws. We will not collect special categories of data from you – such as personal data concerning your race, political opinions, religion, health or sexual orientation.
How we collect personal data
We collect personal data when you:
- access and interact with our site
- through cookies and other similar technology
- when you contact us via email or the contact form.
How we use your personal data
We use personal data collected through our site only when we have a valid reason and the legal grounds to do so.
Legal grounds for using your personal data
The legal ground may be one of the following:
- Consent: Often we will use your personal data because we have asked for your consent, which you can withdraw at any time. Examples of where we ask for your consent include:
- to analyse data collected from cookies to personalise advertising. We do this by analysing your data to predict what you might be interested in.
- Our legitimate interests: We may process your personal data where it is necessary for our legitimate interests in a way that might be expected as part of running our website and in a way that does not materially impact your rights and freedoms. For example, it is in our legitimate interests for us to understand our readers, promote our services and operate our site efficiently for the creation, publication and distribution of news, and related journalistic content globally. Examples of when we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal data include:
- when we analyze what content has been viewed on our site so that we can understand how they are used and improve our content.
- to show you more relevant advertising based on that analysis by creating “segments” of particular types of audiences so that we can show you advertisements that may be more relevant to you and the ‘’segments’’ you may be in.
- to inform you of any changes to our services, such as updates to our terms and conditions.
- to collect and log IP addresses to improve and manage our site.
- to personalize our services by remembering your settings.
- enabling you to share our content with others using social media or email.
- contacting you directly via email if you send us emails or contact us.
- when we respond to your queries and to resolve complaints.
Using children’s personal data
We do not aim any of our products or services directly at children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal data about children under 13. Some of our services may have a higher age restriction and this will be shown at the point of registration. We also note that California law prohibits the sale of personal data of consumers between 13-16 years of age unless the guardian has authorized the sale. We comply with this requirement.
Security of your personal data
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational controls to protect your personal data against unauthorized processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. Unfortunately, sending any information, including personal data, via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our site while still in transit so you provide it at your own risk.
When we share or sell your personal data
We share your personal data with other organizations that are not directly linked to us under the following circumstances:
Service providers – We may share your data with other organizations that provide services on our behalf. Examples of when we may share your data with service providers include sharing with:
- Internet and cloud hosting services providers (such as YouTube and Twitter)
- Service providers that help provide us with insights and analytics that help us to improve our products and services. For example, we use Google Analytics to understand how visitors engage with our site.
Agencies and authorities if required by law – We may reveal your personal data to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority, or in connection with any legal action if we are required to do so to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, where the request is proportionate, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of anyone else (for example, in response to valid and properly served legal process such as subpoena or warrant). If we have your contact details, we will take reasonable steps to attempt to notify you prior to disclosing your data unless (i) prohibited by applicable law from doing so, or (ii) there are clear indications of unlawful conduct in connection with your use of our services.
Social media organizations – We may share your personal data with other organizations when our web pages use social plug-ins from these organizations. These other organizations may receive and use personal data about your visit to our site. If you browse our site, personal data they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organizations use personal data, please read their privacy policies.
How long we keep your personal data
Cookies and similar technologies
When you visit our site, we may collect personal data from you automatically using cookies or similar technologies.
Your privacy and data protection rights with regard to the personal data that we hold about you
You have a number of rights with regard to the personal data that we hold about you and you can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- You have the right to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you
- You have the right to correct the personal data we hold about you
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request
- Where applicable, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for certain purposes
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time
If you would like to exercise any of your rights specified above, please email at @@@@@. We will deal with requests within one month.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity. If your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests, it may take us longer. We will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. You will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive.
Contact us for information about how we use your personal data
If you have any questions about how we use your personal data or if you have a concern about how your personal data is used, please contact us.
Complaints will be dealt and responded to within 30 days.
05 October 2023